HAPPY (EARLY) NEW YEAR
I said it last year and I’ll say it again. September is the new January. It is the perfect time to evaluate where you are; right here, right now – physically, mentally, and spiritually. Perhaps you had an epic summer full of friends & family, sun, and fun. Or perhaps you worked a lot and beached it too little. Regardless, here you are.
Treating September like January helps to keep us from getting stuck in the same old song and dance routine we are used to performing. I do want to acknowledge though that saying good-bye to the previous “year” AKA summer can be hard. I get it. Trust me; this born and raised on the beach salty girl definitely has a hard time those first few days after Labor Day. It is important to acknowledge the mixed emotions around this time of transition, but don’t wallow in the “pit of despair OMG I won’t have beach hair anymore.” Oh OK go ahead and wallow, especially if you have a kid getting on a big yellow bus or perhaps going away (GASP!) to school. A little wallowing never hurt anyone 🙂
But let’s be real, the wallowing has to end or you are going to accomplish NOTHING. So what are you going to accomplish this fall? What ideas, dreams, wishes, wants are you going to take some action on? What kind of life do you want to create right now and in the future? As I am writing this all I can think about is someone creating sushi since my hubs and I just completed a 3 day juice cleanse. MMMmmm spicy salmon roll….
Ok back to reality. Back to the “new year.” September is a fabulous month to begin again. Even Gretchen Rubin, author of ‘The Happiness Project, has blogged about it. Choose an area of your life that you are committed to working on and just go for it. Just start. Don’t let the fear of failure hold you back. If you start and don’t finish well good for you! Do you know how many things I have started or tried to do that never succeeded? So many. But you know what? You just keep on trying. Hell I even recently tried to get my old job back that I miss so much but the answer was No. And you know what’s great about a “no?” A no is really a “not now.” Death and taxes people – those are the only solid no’s (or yeses depending on the way you want to look at it).
So here’s a taste of what I am working on in no particular order:
- Clean eating post juice cleanse (another post to follow on the cleanse experience!)
- Hot yoga teacher training which will enable me to teach the 26&2 method (AKA Bikram)
- Mindful parenting
- Restructuring my book ‘I Choose Me’ in progress
- Speaking at local high schools about organ donation
- Doing 1 load of laundry per day (between 2 little boys and a bunch of sweaty yoga & running gear we got a lot of stuff to wash)
- Growing my brand & entering Beautiful, BOLD, + Juicy as a vendor at the holiday LoveLocal Fest (details to come but I’ll give you a hint that I will have something you can wear!!)
- Photography play
- Daily time on, in, or next to the water getting my Blue Mind on
So what are you going to work on? I would LOVE to hear from you!