Chocolate, coconut, or nougat?
Forrest Gump wasn’t kidding. Life IS like a box of chocolates.
So how did I get here? How did I arrive at this point in my life? As I spent time reflecting about this today, I felt a warm smile spread across my face. I started a blog back in 2007 so that my family & friends could follow my 2nd Ironman journey. It was then I discovered a love for writing and I just kept blogging away. Never in my wildest dreams, would I have known how much writing would play such an important part of my life.
The following is an excerpt I wrote in December 2012 from my blog Anything Is Possible: “What I do want to write about is the journey that continues. Life goes on. The sun continues to rise and set. As 1 life ends, another begins. Call this cliche, but it’s the truth. Yes there are dark days, some very dark, others not so much. We found out we were expecting another baby about a week or 2 before Will died. We shared this news with Will early on and for that I am grateful. Miles took his first steps on the evening of Jan. 26th and I caught it on video and showed it to Will in the hospital that night. That was the last time I saw and talked to Will before he died hours later.”
Will was my brother. My only sibling. We were 18 months apart. He was in a tragic accident on Mother’s Day 2009 that left him paralyzed and then he died unexpectedly in January 2012. Immediately after his accident I started another blog for him, Anything Is Possible II, so that all of his friends and our extended family could follow his recovery. I lost part of myself the day Will crashed and I lost even more of myself when he died. So who was this girl before her life was turned all upside down? She was, and is, content.
I am ecstatic to share with you all that underneath all the lies; all the loss; I have rediscovered the sparkly girl in me. The long lost friend I once knew has resurfaced. Just like any old childhood friend, it hasn’t taken long to recall all the wonderful times we shared together.
A few random facts:
- I figure skated as a kid thru college and can still bust a move on the ice
- I grew up listening to Robert Goulet and musical soundtracks. Still love all types of music
- I dance almost everyday in my house… You should have seen my moves in college.
- I consider 4 years at boarding school some of the best years of my life
- I was a complete Tomboy and to this day I prefer mud over makeup
- Turning pages in a book and turning my compost pile are delightful acts
- I never wanted to be a nurse. My mom was a nurse. I applied to 4 colleges, all for their physical therapy (PT) programs, and was accepted at all 4 schools but denied into all 4 PT programs. I started off as an athletic training major, but got bored, and then found my love for nursing.
- I used to be very shy and self conscious
Who are you? How did you get here?